ANTHRAX IN STREET DRUGS
Fri 8 Mar 2013
A drug user has died after being infected with anthrax, health experts said.
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) confirmed that a person who injected heroin died in Suffolk.
There has been a small outbreak of cases in Europe, with 13 cases identified by health officials since June last year.
Seven of the cases have occurred in the UK, including one in Scotland and one in Wales.
Four of the five people who contracted the bacterial infection in England have died, experts said.
The HPA said the source of the infection is presumed to be contaminated heroin.
Two of the deaths occurred in Blackpool and the other death was a drug user in Medway, Kent.