Drug user dies after using heroin infected with anthrax

ANTHRAX IN STREET DRUGS

Fri 8 Mar 2013

  • Health
  • DRUGS

A drug user has died after being infected with anthrax, health experts said.

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) confirmed that a person who injected heroin died in Suffolk.

There has been a small outbreak of cases in Europe, with 13 cases identified by health officials since June last year.

File photo of heroin after a drug user died after injecting heroin infected with anthrax
File photo of heroin after a drug user died after injecting heroin infected with anthrax

Seven of the cases have occurred in the UK, including one in Scotland and one in Wales.

Four of the five people who contracted the bacterial infection in England have died, experts said.

The HPA said the source of the infection is presumed to be contaminated heroin.

Two of the deaths occurred in Blackpool and the other death was a drug user in Medway, Kent.

Source

Advertisements
By iamisatthedoors Posted in Health

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s